Food Focus: Raw and Cooling Salads
Why is it that in the summer we naturally crave more fresh and raw foods? These foods have a cooling effect on the body. The lightness and high water, fiber and vitamin content work together to act as our internal air conditioning during these warm months. At this time of year we also need less dense, high-energy food because we get so much energy from being outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
There is no better season than summer to have fun creating your own fresh, tasty, creative salad combinations. By simply tossing together several of your favorite raw veggies, naked or with a light dressing, you have a perfect meal for a hot summer’s day.
· Try your favorite leafy lettuce with various sliced, diced or grated veggies. The possible combinations are endless.
· Fresh herbs are a wonderful option to mix in, as they are packed full of flavor.
· Experiment with adding diverse forms of protein to your salads, such as nuts, seeds, beans, tofu, fish or poultry.
· Pick up a light and healthy dressing at your local health food store, or mix up something easy, like lemon juice, black pepper and olive oil.
This is a great opportunity to try a new vegetable from your market. What are some creative flavors you’ve never tried before? Fennel and mint? Daikon radish and arugula? Summer squash with watercress? Whatever you choose, have fun with your food and stay cool. Happy summer!
Bok Choy Apple Slaw
Prep time: 7 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
6 stalks bok choy (about 1/2 head), thinly sliced
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, sliced
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons honey or brown rice syrup
salt and black pepper to taste
1. First make the dressing by combining all the ingredients and whisking well.
2. Chop all the salad ingredients, leaving the apples until last. Mix in a salad bowl.
3. Toss salad with half the dressing. Add additional dressing if desired.
4. Eat immediately, or chill for up to one hour and then add the apples just before eating.