2 cups presoaked cannellini or great Northern white beans
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (1/4 tsp dry)
¼ teaspoon fresh sage
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 ½ cups peeled and diced carrots
1 ½ cups peeled and diced celery
1 tablespoon diced shallots
¼ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoon finely minced garlic
¼ teaspoon fresh thyme (1/8 tsp of dry thyme)
¼ teaspoon fresh sage (1/8 tsp of dry sage)
¼ teaspoon fresh oregano (1/8 tsp of dry oregano)
8 cups Vegetable Broth
1 bunch of kale or Swiss chard, stemmed and cut into small bite size pieces
- Cook the presoaked beans until done (follow directions on the bag)
- In a 8 quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté until golden. Add the carrots, celery, shallots and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 3 minutes more
- Add the garlic, thyme, sage, and oregano and sauté for 2 minutes more.
- Add ¼ cup of broth to the pot. Allow the liquid to evaporate.
- Add 6 more cups of liquid and the **cooked beans and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to achieve the desired consistency. **(Discard the cooking water before adding the beans)
- Add the greens and a pinch of salt and simmer until the greens have wilted. You might need to add a squeeze of lemon juice or a final pinch of salt.